Thursday, May 31, 2018

Gestures and Greetings


Gestures

There are 5 common gestures in the world. According to Maximizing Study Abroad book. 


1.      In America this symbol seems to indicate as a hand signal the okay.

a.      This symbol in another country can symbolize something offensive for someone else.

b.      In fact, it means for Japan a sign of money. Belgium and France the number zero, and countries like Greece, Russia, and other countries as a sexual insult.

c.      In my host country it can be used to mean that you like something. 


2.      In America this symbol seems to indicate praying or even begging someone.

a.      This symbol in another country could have the same meaning.

b.      In fact, for some Asian countries it means Thank You.

c.      In my host country it means that they are begging you


3.      In America this symbol may mean an I don’t know in reference to something someone said.

a.      This symbol could also mean that one does not know what the other person is trying to communicate.

b.      Though in some countries it could mean like the Middle East and South America a sense of sincerity.

c.      In my host country it could mean ‘so what?’ when palms are facing up if there facing out it is I don’t know.


4.      In America this gesture may mean Good Job.

a.      In some countries I think it could mean something very offensive.

b.      For some countries it means almost the same thing but in Japan it could indicate the male gender or number five.

c.      In my host country it seems to be that it means the same. 


5.      In America this as seen as trying to get Good Luck as a means to show that they are trying to get lucky.

a.      In some countries I feel it does not mean anything but for some its something offensive.

b.      In fact, for other countries it means the same or friendship, but the only thing Turkey and Italy means broken friendship.

c.      For my host country it could mean good luck or friendship.

Eye Contact Survey



1.     Situation: Chatting with Friends:

a.      Personal preference would be not a whole lot but enough that one knows they are talking to you.

b.     In host country I would think that eye contact is important.

2.     Situation: Talking with a professor: 

a.      Personally, I would like eye contact but if we are talking about a project I don’t mind if there is not a whole lot.

b.     Host country I think that talking to a professor there should be a lot of eye contact.

3.     Situation: Interviewing for a job: 

a.      Personally, I would do a lot of eye contact not much looking away.

b.     I would think they would like a lot of eye contact though only looking away occasionally.

4.     Situation: Giving a presentation: 

a.      Personally, I would try to focus on key points around the crowd not to focused on a particular area.

b.     I would think there should be eye contact around the area as long it is around the crowd.

5.     Situation: Placing an order with a waiter:

a.      I don’t really give a lot of eye contact just the initial eye contact.

b.     I feel like it would be about the same just a bit more eye contact to make sure they hear me that I am talking to them.

6.     Situation: Talking to your father: 

a.      There is a lot of eye contact though not as much at times not at all.

b.     I feel like there would be a lot to make sure they are listening to you though probably not a lot.







Personal Distance Survey

1.     Chatting with friends:

a.      A minimum a foot of distance maybe closer depending on the friend but not further away.

b.     Around a foot of distance, I think at times closer more often than not.

2.     Talking with a professor: 

a.      I think anything between a 1 to 3 feet of distance nothing closer.

b.     I would feel that something between that 1 to 3 at times closer.

3.     Interviewing for a job:

a.      A good two feet at times keeping a distance.

b.     I feel that there is a good distance but not further than 4 feet.

4.     Giving a presentation:

a.      At times there should be a good 3 to 5 feet between the audience.

b.     There should be a good distance I think there would be like 3 to 5 maybe more.

5.     Placing an order with a waiter:

a.      There may be at least half a foot to a foot, so the waiter can hear your order.

b.     There probably is at least a foot of distance to hear what the order is.

6.     Talking to your father:

a.      It all depends on where we are there could be a lot of distance or very close depending on the situation.

b.     It could be very close around half a foot to even 5 feet to have a conversation.





Touching Behavior Survey

1.     Chatting with friends:

a.      I feel like there is only occasional touching.

b.     There are I feel occasional touching.

2.     Talking with a professor: 

a.      I feel there might be one touch but not all

b.     There could be an occasional touch but not really.

3.     Meeting with your boss:

a.      I don’t think there should be any touching. Maybe a handshake.

b.     There may not be any touching maybe a handshake.

4.     Speaking to a child:

a.      I think there might be the occasional touching because it is a child.

b.     There might be a touch but not really just to say hi.

5.     Talking with your father: 

a.      I feel like there are touching because it is a personal relationship.

b.     There could be touching because it is a personal relationship.



Nonverbals used in host country greetings: 

1.     Meeting with someone of the same age and sex for the first time:

a.      I feel like there is a handshake maybe a kiss on the cheek.

2.     A man greeting his wife at home:

a.      There is a kiss of greeting.

3.     Two professional women meeting for lunch

a.      There is a handshake.

4.     two adult male friends meeting at a bar

a.       a one handed sided hug.

5.     A brother greeting his sister at the airport

a.       There is hugging involved.

6.     A child greeting his father as he arrives home from work

a.      A big hug or a kiss on the cheek.

7.     A young women meeting her boyfriend at the park.

a.      A kiss maybe.

8.     Two women seeing each other at a high school reunion

a.      A hug I would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment